Melted butter, to grease
800g dried mixed fruit
410g jar fruit mince
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
250g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Butter, melted, cooled
1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
2 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
4 eggs, lightly whisked
1 cup (160g) blanched almonds or Macadamias
2 tablespoons apricot jam, warmed
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan with melted butter. Line the base and side with 3 layers of non-stick baking paper, extending 5cm above edge.
2. Combine the dried fruit, fruit mince, orange rind and orange juice in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until fruits soften. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Add the brandy and stir to combine.
3. Add butter and sugar to fruit mixture and stir to combine. Add the combined flours and mixed spice and stir to combine. Add the eggs and stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Lightly tap pan on bench top to settle the mixture. Arrange the almonds over the top of the cake.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 3 hours 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, covering cake loosely with foil if over browning. Remove from oven. Brush hot cake with apricot jam. Cover cake with foil. Wrap cake in a large tea towel and set aside overnight to cool completely.
5. Turn cake onto a serving platter to serve.
Recipe Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/30325/easy+christmas+cake