Maple Nut Pies
- DIFFICULTY Easy
Ingredients1/2 cup pecan nuts
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
40g butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup Philadelphia Cream for Desserts
(Sweet shortcrust pastry)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons icing sugar mixture
125g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon chilled water
Method1. Make pastry: Process flour, sugar and butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and chilled water. Process until pastry just comes together, adding more water if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape into a 2cm-thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll out.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place pecans, walnuts and macadamias on a baking tray. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Cool.
3. Grease four 3cm-deep, 10cm (base) round loose-based flan tins. Divide pastry into quarters. Roll 1 quarter out between 2 sheets baking paper to form a 15cm round. Line base and side of 1 prepared tin with pastry. Trim excess. Repeat with remaining pastry and tins. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine pecans, walnuts, macadamias, sugar, cornflour, butter, eggs and syrup in a bowl.
5. Place tins on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until base is light golden. Cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
6. Spoon nut mixture into pastry cases. Bake for 25 minutes or until filling has set. Set aside to cool. Serve topped with cream.