Christmas Roast Macadamia Pork with Apple Gravy
CHRISTMAS DINNER!! YUM, feed all the extended family with this beautiful recipe. A juicy pork roast with a nutty macadamia stuffing and a sweet apple gravy.
- SERVES 6
- PREP TIME 20mins
- COOK TIME 1hr 30mins
- DIFFICULTY Easy
Ingredients145g (1 cup) macadamia nuts
105g (1 1/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
6 slices mild pancetta, finely chopped
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh continental parsley leaves
1 tbs horseradish cream
2.5kg boned rolled loin of pork, string removed
1 1/2 tbs sea salt flakes
1kg butternut pumpkin, halved, deseeded, unpeeled, cut into 3cm pieces
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed
2 tbs olive oil
100g steamed green beans
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
375ml (1 1/2 cups) chicken stock
250ml (1 cup) apple juice
Method1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Place nuts in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Add breadcrumbs, pancetta, parsley and horseradish, and process until combined. Place pork, rind-side up, on a clean work surface. Use a sharp knife to score rind, crossways, to the fat layer, at 2cm intervals. Turn pork over. Cut a vertical slit into the thick end (do not cut all the way through).
3. Open thick end of the loin to sit flat and place nut mixture down the centre. Beginning at the thicker end, roll up to enclose filling. Use unwaxed white kitchen string to tie at 2cm intervals.
4. Place the pork, rind-side up, in a roasting pan. Rub salt into the cuts.
5. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until rind crackles.
6. Remove from oven.
7. Reduce temperature to 190°C. Place pumpkin, onions and oil in a bowl and turn to coat. Place pumpkin and onions around pork and roast for a further 1 hour. Remove from oven. Transfer pork to a serving platter. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Add beans to the pumpkin and onions and toss to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside until required.
8. To make the gravy, strain juices from roasting pan into a jug. Melt butter in the roasting pan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles.
9. Gradually add stock and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Stir in apple and pan juices, and boil gently for 5 minutes. Strain into a heatproof jug.
10. Arrange vegetables around the pork and serve with the apple gravy.
Recipe Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2909/roast+macadamia+pork+with+apple+gravyBack
Recipe ID: 3263346