Chicken with Honey, Tomatoes and Almonds
Easy Monday night dinner option
- SERVES 8
- PREP TIME 15mins
- COOK TIME 1hr 45mins
- DIFFICULTY Easy
Ingredients85g (1/2 cup) blanched almonds
125ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
8 cardamom pods, bruised (see note)
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
Large pinch of saffron threads
3 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
80ml (1/3 cup) honey
2 (about 1.2kg each) whole fresh chickens, quartered
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
1 cup fresh coriander leaves
Method1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the almonds on a baking tray. Bake in oven for 6 minutes or until toasted.
2. Heat half the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the cardamom pods, paprika, ginger and saffron. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Stir in the tomato and honey.
3. Place the chicken and flour in a large bowl, and toss to coat. Shake off any excess. Season with sea salt and pepper.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken, reheating the pan between batches. Add the chicken to the tomato mixture.
5. Bring the chicken mixture to a simmer over low heat. Cover and cook for 50 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and cover.
6. Increase heat to medium. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the chicken. Cover and cook for 6 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
7. Transfer the chicken mixture to a serving platter. Top with the almonds and coriander to serve.
Recipe Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20265/chicken+with+honey+tomatoes+and+almondsBack
Recipe ID: 3263332