Carrot and Almond Muffins
Topped with cream cheese and caramelised carrot ribbons, these muffins are luscious.
- SERVES 10
- PREP TIME 35mins
- COOK TIME 25mins
- DIFFICULTY Medium
IngredientsMelted butter, to grease
5 eggs, separated
270g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
3 medium carrots, peeled, finely grated
200g almond meal
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
160g spreadable light cream cheese
1 small carrot, peeled
125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
125ml (1/2 cup) water
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
Method1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush ten 150ml-capacity muffin pans with melted butter to grease. Line the bases with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the egg yolks, sugar and rind in small bowl until thick and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the carrot, almond meal and flour, and stir until well combined.
4. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to fold half the egg white into the carrot mixture until just combined. Fold in the remaining egg white.
5. Divide the muffin mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Smooth the surfaces. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Set aside in the pans for 5 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, to make the caramelised carrot, use a zester to shred the carrot. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrot lengthways into thin ribbons. Cut each ribbon lengthways into very thin strips.) Place the juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrot and simmer for a further 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
7. Top each muffin with cream cheese and caramelised carrot. Drizzle over sugar syrup from the pan to serve.
Recipe Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19463/carrot+and+almond+muffinsBack
Recipe ID: 3263321